“Don’t hate us because we’re beautiful!” ~ April Fool’s Day ’07
List ten things that make you smile.
1. A clean kitchen… especially after I’ve been away from the house and come home to a clean kitchen. Ahhhhh.
2. My kids laughing….. especially when it’s about something that is totally random. I have etched in my mind a day when we had two guys come and trim our palm trees. My two boys sat at the large, front window and burst into uncontrollable laughter with every palm frond that hit the ground. Silly, but the memory still makes me smile.
3. The movie line from Zorro when the woman is confessing that she has broken the fourth commandment, and Zorro, who’s hiding in the confessional replies, “You killed somebody?” I don’t know why, but that is SO funny to our family.
4. Deliciously stocked scrapbooking stores. There is one in Mesa, Arizona to die for. The paper room is larger than our master suite. I think the name is Scrapbooks, Etc., but not positive. It is the store where Heidi Swapp’s stock comes to from her manufacturer. So EVERY blinging thing she created is there. Excuse the drool.
5. Reading funny stories. Which is probably why I get a thrill out of writing funny stories, so others can smile. I am reading Sound the Trumpet by Gilbert Morris currently set at the time of the Revolutionary War. Larisa gave it to me for Valentine’s Day. Anyway, I read a line last night that made me giggle out loud. One of the characters is teasing a servant girl and she strikes him with her fist and says, “You — you blacksmith!” He replies, “Blacksmith? What kind of cussing is that? Maybe I better teach you something a bit stronger.” O.K., it’s not quite as funny today. Maybe I was tired last night. :o)
6. April Fool’s Day Memories. For the fourth year in a row, I have been the victim of the April Fool’s Day Sink Sprayer Prank. And 3 of the 4 years, I fell for it. It started with Rick using a rubberband to hold down the trigger on the kitchen sink spray nozzle. Then when the unsuspecting soul comes to turn on the water, they get sprayed. The first year, I came into the kitchen and asked Rick, “Why is your shirt all wet?” The kids were beside themselves with hilarity. He set the trap and then fell into it. However, the following 3 years, I have sprayed myself. This last year, I walked into the kitchen and asked, “Why is there water all over the floor?” and then sprayed myself. :o) I then glanced over and noticed Larisa’s pjs were soaking wet too.
7. My husband doing the Bibleman dance. He started this years ago…. to the soundtrack for the Bibleman show. He turns backwards and puts his arms up in the air and shakes his booty incredibly fast. I just laughed at the memory after I typed it.
8. Blooming flowers in my weedless yard. Because of all the rain we’ve had, the weeds are, well, growing like weeds. We have weeded about 70% of the way around the backyard. But the colorful purple pansies, the royal blue lobelia, the yellow daisies and the hot pink Sweet William honestly make me smile. God did good when he made flowers.
9. Listening to my boys interact and play together…. at least when they’re being nice. I think it is so cool that my boys are such close friends. It was always our goal to have them fight back to back, defending each other, instead of face to face. So far, so good. They are so creative and I love hearing them make up stories or retell jokes. They both appreciate humor. They have a mental book being compiled of the 100 funniest things they have done. Totally makes me smile.
10. When kids say the darndest things. I always appreciate a good Mom story of something funny her kid said. Kids are so imaginative and creative with their use of the English language! When Larisa was 2 1/2 she was putting a puzzle together on the kitchen floor. I noticed she was fitting a piece in the wrong place and I mentioned that it didn’t go there. She hit it with her little fist and said, “Yep, it do.”
What makes you smile?