I got to thinking the other day, because that’s what Mamas do. And I realized that every Mama has her own set of rules that her kids are VERY familiar with and can quote back to their Mama. Here are a few of my own examples:
1. “Do not put your bum where food goes.” Translation: do not sit on the kitchen table or counters. Ewwww.
2. “Don’t shoot your mother.” This one goes without saying. It doesn’t matter what you are shooting: nerf guns, bb guns, rubber bands, the kitchen sprayer, spit wads, the hose, darts…. etc.
3. “You can go play in the wilderness if three of you go together. That way if one of you dies, one can watch the body while the other runs for help.” Self explanatory.
4. “The loudest child sits in the back seat of the van.” Also self explanatory.
5. “If you ‘call’ something, you don’t get it.” I.e., “I call the front seat.” You’re now in the back. “I call the last piece of pumpkin pie!” One of your siblings will now enjoy it.
6. “If you put restaurant left overs in the fridge without writing your name on it… you may as well kiss it goodbye.”
7. “If you are in the kitchen and the trash needs to go out, it is YOUR turn to take it out.”
8. “Ask dinner guests three questions about themselves and then you may leave the table.”
9. “Always look people in the eye when you speak to them… and SMILE.”
10. “If and when you say ‘I’m bored’ I will find a chore for you…. every time.”
They are straight forward and have worked for years.
What are your personal rules???